Our client is a biotechnology company created with a singular focus; to develop transformative therapies for coronary heart disease. The Company is developing medicines that may safely edit the genome of adults to permanently lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels and thereby treat coronary heart disease. Founded by world-leading experts in cardiovascular medicine, human genetics and gene editing, the Company also has the financial support of top-tier investors.
The Financial Controller will lead and manage the accounting / finance operations. Reporting to the Head of Finance, this is an opportunity to contribute significantly to a rapidly growing, privately held biotechnology company. The ideal candidate is a driven individual looking to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, biotech start-up environment, leveraging a high degree of problem-solving and troubleshooting skills to make a large impact on our mission.
• Lead the accounting operations of the company including maintaining an adequate system of accounting records/policies and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results.
• Ensure that the company’s accounting procedures and reported results confirm to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements and monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts.
• Interface with financial institutions, external auditors and advisors
• Oversee the independent valuation and year end independent financial statement audit.
• Oversee purchasing to payables process and provide sound financial guidance to company personnel on procurement decisions and contract negotiations
• Oversee financial aspects of payroll and benefits
• As required, take lead on preparing and readying the organization for SEC standards, including reporting, compliance and implementation of Sarbanes Oxley.
• Manage the company’s tax reporting and state filing requirements.
• Manage the company’s corporate insurance policies.
• Manage the company’s cash-flow, including bank accounts and investments.
• Design & lead ERP system implementation
• Minimum 10+ years’ experience in corporate and/or general accounting including both private and public company experience as the controller; experience managing public offerings either from within the company or during accounting firm experience is required.
• Prior experience in the biotechnology industry and R&D contract accounting is preferred
• Big 4 Public Accounting and US GAAP experience preferred.
• Ability to implement and research new and emerging accounting trends, as applicable.
• Experience developing reporting and analytics capabilities.
• Collaborative business partner adept in building cross-functional relationships to drive business results and process improvement.